Ryan Seacrest will be the next host of the popular game show Wheel of Fortune.
Seacrest tweeted the news Tuesday, saying he was “truly humbled” at the torch being passed by longtime host Pat Sajak, who announced his retirement earlier this month.
Sajak tweeted on June 12 that “the time has come” and that the show’s 41st season, starting this September, would be his last, thanking its viewers and fans for “an amazing ride”.
Seacrest’s own post on Twitter states that he looks forward to learning from Sajak during the transition, adding that one of his first jobs was hosting a game show called “The Click” for Merv Griffin 25 years ago, he took it from his called the “full circle moment”.
“I can’t wait to get behind the wheel and continue the tradition of working with the great Vanna White.”
Pat Sajak announces retirement
Sajak, 76, has presided over the game show since 1981, in which contestants guess letters to try to fill in words and phrases to win money and prizes. He took over from Chuck Woolery, who was the show’s first host when it debuted. in 1975.
Along with Vanna White, who joined the show in 1982, Sajak has been a television mainstay. The show soon moved into a syndication and aired in several markets in the evening, becoming one of the most successful game shows in history. Sajak would continue to serve as a consultant on the show for three years following his retirement as host.
“As the host of Wheel of Fortune, Pat has entertained millions of viewers across America for 40 amazing years. “We are incredibly grateful and proud to have Pat as our host for so many years, and we look forward to celebrating his outstanding career in upcoming seasons,” Susan Prete, Sony Pictures Television’s executive vice president of game shows, told The Associated Press. Are. ,
Ryan Seacrest quits ‘Live With Kelly and Ryan’
Seacrest quit his co-host duties on the morning talk show “Live with Kelly & Ryan” this spring, saying he never expected to stay on so long and thanking his co-host Kelly Ripa for whom he jokingly called his “work wife”.
Seacrest ended a six-year tenure with Ripa, and was replaced by Ripa’s real-life husband, Mark Consuelos, and frequent guest host. The show was rebranded as “Live with Kelly and Mark”.
“I will miss my working wife and the laughs we shared,” Seacrest wrote on Instagram. “When I signed on to host ‘Live’ in 2017 it was for three years, but I loved the job and working with Kelly so much that I extended my time and last year I signed on for another year Decided to stay. Final season.”
Seacrest said at the time he planned to be busy shooting the new season of his radio show “American Idol” and hosting “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” on KIIS-FM.
“Goodbyes are never easy, but we look forward to welcoming Ryan back to the regulars with open arms. As a fan-favorite guest host for years, Mark is no stranger to the ‘Live’ family. “Having her on the show is very special to us and we’re sure viewers will feel the same,” Michael Gelman, executive producer of “Live With Kelly & Ryan,” said in a statement.
This is a developing story.
join the conversation